Wednesday 17 August 2011

A nice few days of beach on the island of Koh Samui

I arrived on the Thai island of Koh Samui directly from Malaysia. After immigration I got a minibus and then a tuk tuk to take me to Lamai, where I had booked into a pretty cool hostel. Upon arrival there I quickly met people who were all going to the full moon party, basically a whole night of drunken mayhem on the beaches of Koh Phanyang. Had it been a day later I would have gone, but I was not at all feeling it that night. I joined the pre-drinking sessions and then the post-party drinking session in the morning when all came back. The day, of course, was spent by most either still totally drunk until the next day, sleeping or walking around like zombies.

The rest of my time in Koh Samui was spent on the beach swimming and sleeping and chilling out and eating. And in this manner the days pass quickly and my three nights passed by without my even realising. Just to illustrate that there is no concept of time when chilling out like this: I only realised on the day that I was leaving that I had been living one hour ahead of everybody else, because I had forgotten to change the time on my clock! I only noticed when I was supposed to be leaving and everyone was saying that it's 9 a.m. and I was convinced that it was 10 a.m.. There were some moments that I found strange, such as that breakfast was supposed to be available until 10 a.m., but in my time it was always available until midday  - which I found very accommodating by the hostel staff (turns out it was available until 11 a.m. - which is also accommodating, but obviously not to the same extent as it would be if it had been midday).

I left Koh Samui yesterday, taking the ferry and then a combination of busses back to Bangkok. I was very sad to leave my best friends in laziness - sun, sea and sand. It would have been great if I had had more time to go island hopping and discover some more great beaches. But now it's back to Bangkok where I will be meeting Marcel - my travel buddy for the next month!

No comments:

Post a Comment